Pennsic 2013 Diary: Monday, July 29

After Breakfast – Marauders

Last night was a lot of fun. The mini-concert went really well. I was fourth of five performers, playing to a large and responsive audience. I expected people to sing along to the song; I hadn’t expected them to chant along to the “choruses” of the Knight and the Virgin Mary story. Yay! Mission accomplished.

Meanwhile, backstage I’d mentioned to Maraha that I’d written the “Titivillus Can-Can,” so we were doing the can-can kick and I was flipping my skirts in can-can girl style. Because we’re nuts. But we have fun doing it. Otherwise, what would the point be?

I should also mention that while I was backstage I got to watch the members of i Sebastiani assembling a huge number of fruit pies they were going to throw at each other (and maybe the audience – not sure on the details). Apparently the stage was horrendously messy after their show. There may be a rule in future years: “No food fights on stage.”

Anyway, I changed out of my performing clothes and went down to Enchanted Ground. It was a really quiet night: Lady Judith was there for the early part of the evening, Cariadoc’s daughter Rebecca for the later part, and Unnr showed up for a few minutes with Morley before she put him to bed. But really, that was about it. Which is pretty good for me, because I got to run through almost my entire collection of saint stories, many of which Cariadoc had never heard. Yay! I have enough stories that I can hold my own for almost two hours playing bard-tennis with Cariadoc!

The night was very cold. My tent thermometer read 10.5 degrees when I went to bed around 12:30. Another couple of divots on my air mattress had gone “sproing,” making it a bit awkward to sleep on it. I think I’m gonna throw it out after War and buy a new one next year. I was also dumb in that I didn’t put on my wool socks and wok up around 5 am to put them on; it was 9 degrees. Got back to sleep until around 7:30, so at least that’s good.

Woke up, had a quick breakfast burrito, and took out my new pajama pants / braes to cut off the bottoms and make them an acceptable length for braes. John very kindly hemmed them on the machine for me, and I gave the 15 1/2″ cut-off hems to Pyro to turn into pouches for largess. (Yes, 15 1/2”. I have never in my life bough pants that didn’t need significant hemming, and these were going up to capri length.) John is also hemming my new sideless surcoat for me, which means I got to dance on the table and also that I’ll now have three (count’em, three) surcoats I can use. Yay! I was hoping for a wool one too, but maybe I’ll have to make it over the next year.

Got to watch the Calontir army march by singing this morning. I love that. I think it’s great that there’s at least one kingdom that does that. I wish more would.

So that’s where we’re at now. I’m busy as of about 2 pm, and there was a signing for “Feast of Ice and Fire” from 11 to 1. I think maybe I should do a quick wander before it gets too busy.

Noon – Marauders

An eventful if short morning wander. I checked out a few merchants who were closed when I was wandering yesterday and found myself at Erwillian’s. Given that it’s the day after the Low Party, I decided to do some songs and stories “appropriate” for the occasion: “The Scottish Champion” and “The Excuse Note.” Then I took my Feast of Ice and Fire book to get signed and ran into Toki both on the way there and the way back. Also ran into Benvolio and had lunch with him and some of his friends (a walking taco from Yucatan Stand – cheap and tasty!). Sometime in there I commissioned a wooden puzzle from Claus for Lyra; she won’t be able to use it yet, but she’ll grow into it. [Editor’s note: Lyra is my five-month-old niece.]

Incidentally, I’m very pleased that a lot of the pieces I didn’t practice before War are coming back to me so well. Yay for long-term memory!

John just finished hemming my new surcoat, so I think I’m gonna change and do a fast wander before I perform in the expo.

Early Afternoon – Marauders

In the last hour and a half, I’ve managed to have a semi-professional photo shoot (courtesy of Shu Shu Mark of Yama Kamanara), give a small performance, and eat fresh-baked bread, and play with a two-month-old baby (all courtesy of Crook’d Cat). Yay! Soon, performing at the expo and then heading out to Gawain.

Sundown – Marauders

Fun afternoon, somewhat obnoxious evening.

This afternoon was one of those times I really wished I could have been in two places at once: the bardic expo and Gawain. I stuck around for the first 45 minutes or so of the expo, which included my own piece. Which, I should point out, went extraordinarily well, perhaps the best reception I’ve ever had to “Nero gives birth to a frog.” Their Majesties Calontir were there with a quite large entourage, and I decided that whenever the advisors were addressing Nero, I would address Their Majesties. It worked.

I was on the verge of leaving when I discovered why Their Majesties Calontir were there: for the Calontir Puppet Army song number, “Cheer.” Yes, it was exactly what you imagine. It was awesome.

I would have stayed longer, but I really wanted to get to Gawain, so I walked with Marian across the to the B-blocks where it was being held. It was also quite a lot of fun. We were going at a rate of slightly faster than 500 lines per half-hour, which made the whole thing about 2 hours, 20 minutes. I have to say, I like Gawain better than I like Beowulf. Less extraneous material like genealogies. Lots of description, but less politics about people I don’t care about. So, on the whole, I prefer it.

Got back to the ‘Geti, picked up the puzzle for Lyra from Claus, used the computers at Mystic Mail for fifteen minutes, and came back to camp. Supper wasn’t ready, so I decided to see whether the “sproings” had made my air mattress unusable. Sadly, they had. I had a few moments of panic before I walked over to the Cooper Store to see if they had air mattresses. (There was a spare one floating around camp, but sadly it was a queen and I needed a twin.) This time luck was with me, ad I got a $20 air mattress that will hopefully last me the next 3-5 nights. It’s not as good as my old one (or at least as good as my old one was supposed to be), but I hope it’ll be adequate.

Alethea was kind enough to keep me company after dinner (chicken-fried steak – yum!) so that I could remake my bed away from the conversations of the common area without feeling deprived.

I admit, I’m kinda hitting the wall right now. There’s a lot I want to do, most especially go down to Bardicci because I’m missing both parties, but I’m not sure I’m up for the walk or for putting on my bard face. I’m sitting here with Pyro and Rumhann by the fire and my eyes are closing, even though the sun isn’t even all the way down yet. I already missed the two concerts I wanted to get to (boo!), and I wonder whether this might not just be an early-to-bed night in camp. John’s charging his new phone (I think), so I should be able to call Marc tonight if I stay up. If. I miss calling Marc; I haven’t spoken to him since… Thursday? Wednesday? It’s been a while, at any rate.

I’m very tired. I don’t think I’m going down to the Bog tonight. Sorry, Bardicci. I promise I’ll make it up to you.

Back to Sunday, July 28
Forward to Tuesday, July 30


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: